Zinkie’s work ‘Republic of Pulau Semakau (A Story About Trash and People)’ was published in The Sunday Times (UK) (2013). In 2014, the work was exhibited as part of the Singapore International Photography Festival (SIPF) and subsequently exhibited in the Dali International Photography Exhibition (2015).
For her choice of photo stories, Singaporean photographer Zinkie Aw often photographs habits: Habits of people.
Some series are flamboyant ways in which she thinks aloud, and these works are the precipitation of careful introspection she has day-to-day, and reactions to the society that she lives in. These photographs often incorporate the colourful and quirky manner.
Other than these personal photo series, Zinkie does corporate events photography and portraiture work, alongside involving herself in education and outreach programmes. The corporate site is currently under construction. You may email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for collaboration discussions.
Activities: Exhibitions, Showcases, Sharing for Personal Work Photography
This area is occasionally updated – connect on LinkedIn 🙂
• Canon Youth Photography Awards 2021 – Virtual Talk, Judge, Mentorship for Tertiary Category Winner(s)
• Exhibition: “I’ve Cot You (Sayang Sarong Baby)” at Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre Level 10, 23 Oct 2019 to 23 Jan 2020
• Visual Storytelling customised for YCKSS X Pathlight School students and teachers
• Visual Storytelling customised for UOB – UOB
• Street Photography outings customised for UOB – UOB
• Visual Storytelling Workshop customised for National Youth Council x Women in Asia
• Street Photography Outing – Catholic High
• Conceptual Photography for Students – Catholic High
• Photojournalism for Students – Unity Secondary
• Street Photography Outing and Workshop for Hwa Chong International School.
• Smartphone Photography – Event Photography for Schools
• Project over 4 sessions: Desktop Publishing Layout Workshop and Editing of a Photo Story with Fernvale Primary School.
• Photo Journalism and Caption-Writing Workshop for MOE – Primary + Secondary School Sessions, in conjunction with MOE’s “Our Schools, Our Stories” Photojournalism Contest
• Visual Story-telling Workshop for Hwa Chong International School.
• Visual Story-telling Workshop for Horizon Primary School.
• Street Photography Workshop for Horizon Primary School.
• Judging: For 2019 Singapore Young Photographers’ Convention
• Returning Workshop Instructor for River Valley High School — Portfolio-Making for Year 6s (1 Term)
• New Workshop” Demystifying Colors with Canon Imaging Academy
• Group Exhibition: Singapore Unseen @ Pera Museum, Istanbul
• Photojournalism Workshops with Edgefield Secondary School.
• Visual Story-telling Workshop for UOB.
• Street Photography Outing and Workshop for UOB.
• Facilitation for Smartphone Photography Hands-on Walk, for Apple Singapore.
• Visual Story-telling Workshop for Riverside Secondary School.
• Street Photography Workshop for Ngee Ann Secondary School.
• Photo Journalism and Caption-Writing Workshop for Pasir Ris Crest Secondary School.
• Talk on Event Photography for Meridian JC.
• Talk on Personal Work for National Primary School Photography Competition 2018.
• Workshop for Lakeside Primary School: Photo Journalism.
• Workshop for NUS International Students: Conceptual Photography.
• Workshop for National Library Board for Opening Week of Yishun Library Library: Mindfulness and Photography.
• Workshop for Loyang Primary School: Street Photography.
• Returning Workshop Instructor for River Valley High School — Portfolio-Making for Year 6s (1 Term).
• ‘I’ve Cot You (Sayang, Sarong Baby) Opening Exhibition Launch at Our Tampines Hub, new Tampines Regional Library (05 Aug – 31 Sep 2017)
Launched by Parl Sec Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, Baey Yam Keng.
Rove (yay!) : Toa Payoh Public Library, 4 Dec 2017 – 28 Dec 2017.
• Co-curator for ‘The Italian Connection’, an 89th Anniversary exhibition showcase for The Fullerton Heritage at The Fullerton Hotel.
Conducted Heritage trail walk for ‘A Hunt of Lions in the Lion City‘ for children.
• Workshop and Talk for SMU (2 sessions).
• Workshop and Lecture for St Andrew’s School.
• Keynote Speaker for 6th Singapore Student Photography Conference (SSPC).
• Interview and feature on TODAY online’s social media platforms. A Singaporean photography monthly series via Medium.com. ‘Singaporelang – What the Singlish?’.
• Adjunct Tutor: Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information, NTU.
• Returning Workshop Instructor for River Valley High School — Portfolio-Making for Year 6s (1 Term).
• National Library Board’s National Reading Day — Sharing of Singaporelang book
• One of the Panel Judges: Singapore Young Photographers’ Convention hosted by Canon Singapore
• Artist Talk at National Museum of Singapore, Mar 2016. “A Lighter Side of History: Saying More with Less: Interpretations of Singlish”.
• Returning Workshop Instructor for River Valley High School — Portfolio-Making for Year 6s (1 Semester)
• Organiser and Artist for Solo Travelling Exhibition: ‘Singaporelang – What the Singlish?’. Sep 2015 – 2016. Various locations including Bugis+ Mall, Lot One Mall, Bedok Mall and 7 National Libraries. (Singapore)
• SG Magazine: Cover Page & Interview Feature on Zinkie Aw and her work: Republic of Pulau Semakau. February 24 Issue.
(New Work) ‘TANLINES: An Anatomy’ Group Exhibition: Oct – Nov 2015. Noise Singapore (10 Years of) Alumni Show Galeris Nila & Utama @ The Foothills at Fort Canning Park . (Singapore)
‘Singaporelang — What the Singlish?’ Solo Roving Exhibition: Sep 2015 ~ 2016 (Singapore)
‘Singaporelang — What the Singlish?’ Group Exhibition. Societe Generale Gallery, Alliance française de Singapour. Sep 10- Oct 3 2015. (Singapore)
‘Singaporelang — What the Singlish?’ Solo Exhibition. Objectifs, Lower Gallery. Aug 13 – Sep 23. (Singapore)
Twentyfifiteen.sg: The Exhibition @ Esplanade. ‘Singaporelang — What the Singlish?’ Group Exhibition. Aug 2015 – Jan 2016. (Singapore)
Dali International Photography Exhibition (DIPE). GOLD & GREEN: The Making of Singapore Photography. (China)
‘Republic of Pulau Semakau (A Story about Trash and People)’. Group Exhibition.
Community Skyart on Hawker Stories: Chong Pang PAssionArts Festival 2015. (Group Exhibition together with student participants). *This project is awarded one of the Top 10 Installation Art of all works displayed in 2015, and was re-displayed at Ngee Ann City in the Singapore W.O.W (Works Of Wonder) – the PAssionArts Festival Closing Exhibition.
Solo Exhibition: ‘Home Store-ies: Singapore Storerooms’ series.
At The Arts House at Old Parliament Lane, Singapore. With The Arts House Open House.
5th ASEAN-Korea Multimedia Competition (ASEAN Lifestyle): ‘Meet the Candi-Dates’. Honourable Mention (Singapore Entrant).
At Hanam (Hanam Art Center, 27 January – 15 February) and Gyeongju (Gyeongju Arts Center, 3 -29 March), Group Exhibition
Pop-Up Noise Photography Showcase: ‘Meet the Candi-Dates’ series.
April 2015. Roving Exhibition: Kovan Hub, Asia Square, One Raffles Place. Group Exhibition. (Singapore)
Milan Image Art & Design Fair, MIA&D (Singapore): ‘Republic of Pulau Semakau (A Story about Trash and People)’
At Marina Bay Sands Exhibition Center
4th Singapore International Photography Festival (Singapore): ‘Republic of Pulau Semakau (A Story about Trash and People)’
At National Museum of Singapore, Group Exhibition
Px3 Prix de la Photographie, Paris (Paris): ‘Worn-out Legacy’. Single Portrait, Group Exhibition
KL Photo Awards (Malaysia): ‘Eye’. Single Portrait, Group Exhibition
Celebrating Orchard @ Ngee Ann City (Singapore): Co-organised by Singapore National Heritage Board
‘Impressions from the Ground’, Group Exhibition
Noise Singapore Festival Showcase, Photography Exhibition (Singapore): ‘Once Upon A Gangnam Style’ (Series); ‘Stasis’ on prints display. Noise Catalogue 2013. Other selected works on LED screens.
ION Orchard, Group Exhibition
Angkor Photo Workshop Festival Slideshow (Angkor Photo Workshops) (Cambodia): ‘Space Inheritance’. Group Slideshow
Atelier at fivefootway inn (Singapore): ‘Republic of Pulau Semakau’. Group Exhibition
CrazyWorld Cafe (Singapore): ‘Republic of Pulau Semakau’. Solo Exhibition
Goodman Arts Centre, Singapore: ‘Republic of Pulau Semakau’. The Apprenticeship Programme. Group Exhibition
Heritage Connects @ Tanjong Pagar Railway Station (Sept 2012): ‘Portraits at the Railway’. Organised by National Heritage Board. Group Exhibition.
Goodman Arts Centre: Urban Moments Photography Showcase. Group Exhibition.
SIDEWALK: Street Photography Exhibition: IPA Gallery. Group Exhibition by Invisible Photographer Asia.
National Library Board (Singapore): ‘iLove you, Baby (Big Hands, Small Screens)’. Group Exhibition.
The Noise Sg Showcase: Group Exhibiton.
Singapore My Home Reflections (1 distinction, 2 merits, DSLR category) (Singapore)
At MICA Building; ION Orchard; Marina Barrage; Singapore Discovery Centre
Media Mentions / Interviews
Kindly check back again for consolidation of previous years’ works like Republic of Pulau Semakau, or Home Store-ies!
2019: EOS World feature on ‘Celebrating Women Behind the Lens‘
2018L On Print: Our SG Fund Booklet: Featured Project Interview
Nov 2015: WKWSCI Alumni Magazine: “Our Nation Through their Lenses”
Nov 2015: NUS Campus Eye “Singaporelang exhibition explores Singlish”
Oct 2015: 100.3 UFM Singaporelang — What the Singlish? Book Promo ( 1 week )
Sep 2015: omy.sg: “Singlish brought to life in new photo book”
Sep 2015: Lianhe Zaobao 联合早报— What the Singlish? Artist Interview, Book and Exhibition mention
Sep 2015: My Paper on Singaporelang — What the Singlish? Photo Book
Asiaone: Singlish brought to life
Sep 2015: Culturepush: “Singaporelang-What the Singlish? by Zinkie Aw”
Jul 2015: Business Times: Vignettes of a nation on ‘Meet the Candi-dates’ in group show
Jun 2015: 95.8FM (Mediacorp Radio) on Singaporelang — What the Singlish? Work-in-Progress
Mar 2015: Canon EOS World Interview on Street Photography
Feb 2015: Twentyfifteen.sg ‘Singaporelang’ Zinkie Aw Speaks to Leonard Goh
> International Photography Awards: Honourable Mention, Deeper Perspective category, ‘Home Store-ies’
> International Photography Awards: Honourable Mention, Environmental category, ‘Home Store-ies’
> 5th ASEAN-Korea Multimedia Competition: Honourable Mention (Seoul), ‘Meet the Candi-Dates’
> PX3 Prix De La Photographie Paris: Honourable Mention: ‘Meet the Candi-Dates’ (Paris)
> International Street Photography Awards: Main Award Commended, Colour. ‘Crow Feet and Misters’ (London)
PX3 Prix De La Photographie Paris
– PX3 2013 – Gold Winner – ‘Worn-out Legacy’, Children Category
– PX3 2013 – Silver Winner -‘Same Same but Different’, Product Category, 2nd Place
– PX3 2013 – Bronze Winner – ‘ Republic of Pulau Semakau’, Other Category, 3rd Place
International Photography Awards
– Category: Deeper Perspective, Honorable Mention
– Category: Lifestyle,Honorable Mention
KL Photo Awards: Finalist, Portraits Category. (Malaysia)
Urban Moments Photography Contest (Singapore) 3rd Prize. Goodman Arts Centre. [wpanchor id=”education”]
Talks & Workshops Hosted
Associate Instructor at Canon Imaging Academy.
Returning Workshop Instructor for River Valley High School — Portfolio-Making for Year 6s (1 Semester)
Artist Talk at National Museum of Singapore, Mar 2016. “A Lighter Side of History: Saying More with Less: Interpretations of Singlish”.
Returning workshop Instructor for Anjali Photo Workshop, Angkor Photo Festival & Workshop. (Cambodia)
Public Talk: At Toa Payoh Public Library on Processes of Book-Making, ‘Singaporelang – What the Singlish’.
Talk and Book Launch: At Objectifs, for ‘Singaporelang – What the Singlish’.
Radio: Singaporelang featured on 100.3 UFM. (Singapore)
PassionArts Festival – Chong Pang Community Centre – Making Photo-Stories: A 2-Month Workshop
Montage.sg Festival for National University of Singapore Photographic Society – Street Photography Workshop & Outing ‘Down Memory Street‘
OCBC x Canon — Hit the Streets!
Raffles Girls School – “Facemaps” (3 sessions)
BHP Billiton — Street Photography: Intermediate Course
River Valley High School — Portfolio-Making for Year 6 (1 Semester)
Swiss Cottage Secondary School – “Facemaps” (4 sessions)
Anjali Photo Workshop, Angkor Photo Festival & Workshop: Support us!
Street Photography & Travel Photography Lecture at Singapore Institute of Management (SIM), for SIM Photography Club
“Find and Shoot: A Photographic Treasure Hunt” for Singapore International Photography Festival Education Programme at Bukit Merah Public Library, Singapore.
“FaceMap”, for Singapore International Photography Festival Education Programme, 2902 Gallery, Singapore.
– Maris Stella High School (4 sessions)
– Meridian Junior College
Memory Maker Series Shooting Selfies with Keepsakes, for National Library Board. (2 sessions)
JOURNEYS, 10-week mentor for youths, for Photovoice.sg, Singapore. (12 sessions)
“Photography, I Can Do” (Conducted In Mandarin), for Dramabox and Salvation Army, Singapore. (3 sessions)
Street Photography Workshop and Outing, for Canon Imaging Academy, Singapore. (~ 2012)
SHARE IT! Meet the Trailblazers. Sharing motivation and processes of photo series ‘Republic of Pulau Semakau’ .
Curated by *scape and TedxYouth Singapore.
2013 – “Street Photography for You”, for River Valley High School
2013 – On Street Photography, for nEbO Weekend Workshop, Young NTUC, Singapore.
Photobook: Singaporelang — What the Singlish?
Part of Twentyfifteen.sg initiative. Read interview here. To support, you can buy the print, “Relac One Corner” here.
You maybe purchase a copy of the book here.
SIDEWALK: Street Photography Book
Produced by Invisible Photographer Asia
Women’s Development Secretariat Coffeetable Book
‘All In A Woman’s Day’
Collaborations & Fun Endeavours! (Come ‘Jio’ Me)
Bachelor of Communication Studies (2nd Upper Honours), Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Thank you for your time and attention. Please keep in touch.