‘Singaporelang – What the Singlish?’ is a photography series that functions like a Visual Singlish Dictionary, viewers get to ‘Guess the Singlish’ and give meaning to each scene photographed. It is akin to playing Charades, via each viewer filling-in-the-blanks on what each environmental portrait entails to him or her. More often than not, the ‘answers’ are not contained to just a single Singlish catchphrase for each photo illustration.
As part of National Reading Day, we also showcased the book “Singaporelang – What the Singlish?”at Toa Payoh Library on 30 July 2016. Big gratitude!
Catch up with us anytime on facebook www.fb.com/ishoothabits!
The exhibition has wrapped in May 2016. Thank you for all your love, and participation! See the exhibition happenings on the Facebook page.
- [TODAY Mediacorp] https://medium.com/@TODAYonline/singaporelang-what-the-singlish-3f93d7b362b4
- [Objectifs] https://www.objectifs.com.sg/singaporelang-what-the-singlish/
- [asiaone] https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/singlish-brought-life-new-photo-book
- [Kinokuniya] https://singapore.kinokuniya.com/bw/9789810963460
- [WKWSCI Alumni Magazine] http://www.wkwscialumnimagazine.com/november-2015/features/our-nation-through-their-lenses
- [Contended] https://contented.cc/2016/04/photographing-singlish/
- [NHB] https://www.nhb.gov.sg/brasbasahbugis/whats-on/programmes/singaporelang–what-the-singlish
- [Blog feature] https://www.lindsaydoeslanguages.com/language-stories-singapore-takes-the-floor/
Areas we visited:
– (Opening Show) Objectifs Lower Gallery
– (Roving Exhibition Version)Bugis+ Mall, Lot One Mall, Jurong East Regional Library, Toa Payoh Public Library, Jurong West Public Library, Bedok Mall B2 Level (Happy 2016!), Bedok Public Library, Ang Mo Kio Public Library, Tampines Library, Woodlands Regional Library
Missed the rove? Visit our Facebook Page for some memories, or browse the book at the bookstores near you!